One project Karla and I had been meaning to do since we moved into this house was to install a closet organizer in the master bedroom closet.  Most projects seem to take a little longer than you would expect, and this project was no different.

Since we finished this project before I set up this web site, I can't show any "before" pictures.  The original layout of our walk-in closet was pretty typical.  There was one wooden hanging rod on each of the three walls, with each rod mount also supporting a wooden shelf above it.  And believe me, our closet was packed!

Our plan was to buy two corner units, with double stacked rows of hanging rods on the left and right side, and a single hanging rod against the back wall.  As it turns out, the closet turned out exactly as we'd planned, but for awhile it didn't seem like it was going to turn out.

When we decided what we wanted in the closet, Karla and I took a trip to Home Depot to take a look at the "California" style organizers.  Everything seemed pretty straight forward.  We picked out a couple of corner units, some shelves, and some hanging rods and headed home.  This all happened on the Thursday night before Halloween.

At this point I thought I'd get a jump start on our weekend project.  I unpacked the corner units and screwed them together where they would wait in our living room.  Friday night, while Karla tended to the trick-or-treaters, I set out to empty the closets.  Rather than move all the clothes from the hangers one-by-one, I simply unscrewed the rods and carried the wholes things out and set them on saw horses.

So far, so good.  The closet was cleaned out.  But wait!  Now that the closet was empty, it was pretty clear that it would be a shame to put these nice new organizers in without first painting.  So there it was!  Our first set-back.  Painting the closets first would add about 8 hours to what I thought would take all of a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon.  But we realized it was now or never.

Now here it was Saturday morning.  I set out to pick up some breakfast, and some white paint.  Karla was able to set to work painting around 11:00 (I know, that's one late breakfast - but we did manage to go out for Halloween the night before...).  Karla finished the second coat of paint at about 4:00.  The paint needed four hours to dry, so we head off for dinner.

This is where things got interesting.  Around 8:00 I dragged the first corner unit into the bedroom.  Holy Cow this thing was huge!  Somehow we had to fit TWO of these things in there.  Some quick measurements revealed that we actually LOST about 25 inches of hanging space! 

Well we thought about it for a bit and decided it was too late to turn back now.  And while it was less hanging space than the old, the new hanging space would be much more accessible - especially near the corners.  Not only that, but we gained a humongous amount of shelf space.

From there, the corner units went up fairly easily, as did the supports needed to hold the remaining shelves.  The only thing left was the metal rods.  I found out pretty quickly that it was a total pain-in-the-butt to cut these things with my hack saw.  I even tried taking them back to Home Depot before they closed so they could cut them for me.  I didn't make it in time.

Well I had two choices, cut them myself, or wait until morning.  I couldn't wait.  By now it was 10:00.  To make this long story somewhat shorter, by 12:30 the job was done.

Sunday's job was for each of us to sort through our clothes and set aside the stuff we didn't wear anymore.  This in itself was a job we'd been meaning to do since we'd moved in.  It seemed more important now that we had less hanging space.  However, when all was said and done, with all the added shelving and the weeding out of our clothes, we didn't have any problem getting all the clothes back. 

So the Closet Organizer project was a success!  The metal rods are particularily nice.  The hangers slide much easier and it almost seems like you can fit more in the same amount of space.  I was so impressed I went out that day and bought a chrome hanging rod for our front room closet where we keep all our heavy leather jackets.